In this multimedia case story “Goals for First Day of Class” provided by MERLOT ELIXR, experienced faculty from Engineering, Graphic Communications, Information Systems, Music, and Physics share their goals and strategies for an effective first day. See the faculty and their students at work, and listen to them explain their first day of class design, goals, and more (videos range from 1:30 to 7 minutes).
The screenshot below gives you an idea of what the case story homepage looks like.
In addition to the First Day of Class, the MERLOT ELIXR Initiative also features 70+ other case stories of faculty engaged in exemplary teaching practices. All the case stories are brief, applied, and focus on a particular teaching strategy.
For example, in the Active Learning in Large Lectures case story, a Chemistry professor from California State University – Long Beach successfully integrates groups and other active learning techniques into his large class with positive results.
Duke faculty: if you have case studies for ELIXR, let us know and we can help you create them! This could be a good opportunity to provide recognition to you while connecting to a national project.
Haiyan consults with faculty on the integration of technology into their teaching, primarily with the Health Sciences, and on developing online course materials and planning ways to offer programs through online or blended online/face-to-face formats. Her professional interests include collaboration tools, online teaching methods, e-learning, and internationalization in higher education.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Duke discuss “Race Matters”
- Team-Based Learning Update for 2015
- Get New Ideas for Teaching with CIT’s “Visit a Classroom” Program
- Blending online and on-site activities across campuses
- Spring Teaching and Learning Seminars
- Flipping the Classroom Fellowship: Authentic Learning in the Humanities
- Call for Proposals Seeks Innovative Online Education Projects