If you teach a large introductory course and are very interested in being able to use PollEverywhere, clickers, or something equivalent for in-class real time responses, you might consider the Q&A Poll tool in Piazza.
Piazza is a platform which offers functionality beyond the discussion boards. Duke Sakai offers a Piazza integration that makes it possible to set up a Piazza site within your Sakai course site. Piazza supports in-class, real-time responses via in-class polls. The tool enables students to ask questions and contribute to responses while allowing instructors to control and organize the community (and provide quality answers). Students can use their laptops or mobile devices (Piazza’s mobile application is available for iOS and Android) to access their class and answer the questions being asked by the instructor.
- Read more about setting up Piazza within Sakai.
- See an example of how a Duke faculty member uses Piazza.
- Check out instructor resources.
Haiyan consults with faculty on the integration of technology into their teaching, primarily with the Health Sciences, and on developing online course materials and planning ways to offer programs through online or blended online/face-to-face formats. Her professional interests include collaboration tools, online teaching methods, e-learning, and internationalization in higher education.
- Marine Megafauna: By the Numbers
- Marine Megafauna MOOC and the Public Library of Science (PLoS) collection
- Human Physiology Session 3: Student Survey Results
- “Transforming the Teaching and Learning Environment” PASSHE Online Conference
- Connect with Fellow Duke Community Distance Educators and Support Staff
- 2014 NMC Horizon report outlines teaching and learning trends
- Medical Neuroscience Session 2: Who Enrolled and Why?