The Distance Education Special Interest Group at Duke (DE SIG @ Duke) initiated in 2011 is an open group which meets every other month to discuss a range of distance education topics. Members include instructors, program directors and coordinators, IT directors and staff, instructional designers, and academic technology consultants. It’s a way to meet and learn from each other. We focus on program administration, pedagogy, and technology. Meetings in the last two years included a faculty panel, guest speakers, technology demos and presentations from Duke distance learning programs.
All future DE SIG @ Duke meetings will be held on the 2nd Tuesday of every even-numbered month from 3pm-4:30pm, in Bostock 024 (CIT Conference room). In 2014, meetings will be held February 11 (2/11), April 8 (4/8), June 10 (6/10), etc. Save the dates!! Sign up for the meetings.
Agenda for the Dec 10 meeting:
- Introductions and updates
- Ethos CE LMS for Continuing Education by Reema Bhattacharya, MA, MLS, Learning Consultant, Duke Continuing Medical Education (Duke CME)
Ethos CE is a learning management system designed to deliver Continuing Education (CE); it was recently adopted by Duke CME and is being explored by others at Duke for continuing education. This overview of Ethos CE will provide insights to key benefits and a demonstration will show key features. Future Duke CME plans for rolling out Ethos CE to others at Duke will also be discussed.
- Learning Analytics by Sophia Stone, Ed.D., Senior Academic Technology Consultant, Center for Instructional Technology (CIT)
CIT is currently exploring how learning analytics can enhance the online teaching and learning experience, and improve student success in online courses. This discussion will provide case studies and resources from the discussion group, and provide highlights of the types of analytics data that could be useful in online teaching.
- Open Discussion
Haiyan consults with faculty on the integration of technology into their teaching, primarily with the Health Sciences, and on developing online course materials and planning ways to offer programs through online or blended online/face-to-face formats. Her professional interests include collaboration tools, online teaching methods, e-learning, and internationalization in higher education.
- Kaltura Media Gallery Files Expire 7/1/2015
- “That’s Awesome!” – Engaging Audiences for Your Organization
- “That’s Awesome!” – Competitive Strategy
- “That’s Awesome!” — Expert Interviews Enhance Learning
- “That’s Awesome!”–Cybersecurity and Its 10 Domains
- Duke Launches New MOOC: Foundational Neuroscience for Perception and Action
- “That’s Awesome!” — Intro to Classical Music