The 4th annual Trillium Workshop on Sustainability Across the Curriculum will be held Wednesday, May 8, 2013. Sponsored by the Duke Trillium Project, a faculty learning community dedicated to increasing the prevalence and quality of concepts of sustainability in academic courses at Duke, the Trillium Workshop is designed to assist faculty who teach in any discipline with connecting sustainability-related concepts to the material they teach and incorporating sustainability-related topics and practices into their courses. All faculty are welcome, particularly faculty with an interest in sustainability who do not yet explicitly connect it with their course content, especially in large introductory-level courses.
Faculty may attend just the workshop, or up to 10 eligible Duke faculty can elect to receive a $500 stipend to their discretionary accounts upon completion of following tasks:
- As you register, name a specific course that you will design or revise to include sustainability components.
- Attend the one-day Trillium workshop, May 8, 2013.
- Attend monthly meetings in the Fall semester 2013 to discuss planning or implementation of your course.
- Create a post for the Trillium blog about your experience redesigning your course.
- Permit your course syllabus to be published as an example of varied methods to include sustainability in teaching.
- Participate in assessment activities of the Trillium community.
The workshop is open to all faculty/course instructors; students and staff with educational roles at Duke are also welcome. The first 10 faculty with discretionary accounts to register are eligible for the $500 discretionary account stipend.
The workshop will run from 9 AM to 5 PM and will include lunch and snacks. In the evening, participants can also (optionally) come to dinner at the home of Charlotte Clark, joined by fellows from past years.
To register, please complete the registration form, preferably by May 1, 2013. (Please also contact Eileen Thorsos directly if submitting a form after that date.) We will confirm your registration and the availability of stipends on a rolling basis.